Monday, January 20, 2014

Self-Worth

Self-worth as defined by the Merriam- Webster’s online dictionary is “a feeling that you are a good person who deserves to be treated with respect”. However, I feel that it goes deeper than that. Another definition that I came across stated that self-worth is “the sense of one's own value or worth as a person; self-esteem; self-respect”. I think the world in which we live today has confused self-worth with materialism; the newest phone, “red bottoms”, having the latest and the greatest makes you assumedly “better”. The media pushes us to view ourselves through their lenses. Where is our sense of individualism? Are we so insecure in ourselves that the only way that we feel “whole” is by mimicking the images that media and that society feed us. Do not misunderstand me, I love to dress nice, look and smell nice, and present myself in a positive way, however, I do not allow materialistic pursuits do not drive me to be the person that I am. I love fashion but I do not allow labels or lack of labels to make me feel less. I am authentically me. I love the person that I am. A dear friend of mine loves to say “No one can do you better than you”. Do not feel less than because you do not have or cannot afford the items that media, society, or even your associates say that you should or must have to be “in”. I have never been a part of the “in” crowd and that is fine with me. If you do not love who the Most High created you to be then you need to dig deep within yourself and learn to love yourself. You may be surprised, you may be being mimicked and not even know it. So today, look in the mirror and say to yourself “I am worth it” and “I am good enough, there is only one me”. Positive affirmations will change your outlook. “Change your mind and change your life!”

One Love,
Andréa

No comments:

Post a Comment